- 2 lbs unripe tomatoes (6 medium, the greener the better)
- 2 tbs minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander (optional)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- cayenne to taste
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- Dice the tomatoes, and place them in a medium-sized saucepan with all remaining ingredients, except the garlic
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes or until everything is well mingled and very soft. Add garlic during the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking. Cool, then transfer to a sterile jar with a lid, and chill.
This is a really simple recipe and and a great way to use your tomatoes you’ve harvested form the garden. the best part is that it requires unripe tomatoes, so you don’t get stuck with boxes of ripe tomatoes.
Source: The New Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen (pg. 98)